Winter has arrived, the weather is much colder than it has been and the nights are now longer and darker every day. Understandably, a lot of people can get quite worried about driving in winter due to the necessity of having to cope with adverse seasonal weather conditions. And unfortunately for those people, the festive season often requires a whole host of winter driving as people brave the winter roads and inevitable traffic jams to travel across the country to visit friends, relatives and loved ones.
For those with poor credit, making sure you are staying safe on the roads this winter is especially important. Finding car finance with bad credit can be difficult at the best of times, but increasingly more so at this time of year. After all, if something should go wrong and you do have an accident, obtaining car finance with bad credit is particularly hard at short notice.
Protect yourself from Issues obtaining Car Finance with Bad Credit
Of course, no one wants to end up being stuck in that state of affairs. Sadly, though, the reality of the situation is that accidents do happen – even to the most careful of drivers. And the truth of the matter is that, on the whole, more accidents tend to occur in winter, and of these, many are due at least in part to the weather.
So, how can you safeguard yourself against the weather and drive safely over the festive season?
Luckily, there are many ways in which you can start to improve your road safety. Here at Infinity, we have put together a handy guide to seasonal driving, crammed full of our best festive driving tips to help you stay safe on the winter roads.
- Don’t drink and drive. At the moment, we are currently just on the cusp of party season. There are always countless festive events to attend coming up, from family gatherings to friend’s parties to the annual office work do. If you are the designated driver, it isn’t always a lot of fun to sit there and watch all your friends having a good time. It can be tempting to have a drink, or even a few drinks, to stay sociable with the other members of your group. Then, at the end of the night, you still plan to drive home. Seems harmless, right? Wrong. Drink driving is one of the biggest killers on Britain’s roads. It’s just not worth the risk – especially when you need car finance with bad credit.
- Be prepared. You never know when bad weather is going to strike, so it is important to make sure that you are prepared for any eventuality at all times. Carry the essentials with you in your car – a torch, blanket, fully-charged mobile phone and car toolbox are good places to start.
- Prepare your car. Similarly to making sure you are prepared, minimise the risk of any nasty surprises and unexpected breakdowns by ensuring that your car is also prepared. Regular car maintenance is essential, and during the winter it is more important than ever. Remember to check your oil, windscreen washer fluid levels, and the tread depth of your tires.
- Take it slow. None of us likes to be stuck in the car for hours on end, but driving fast in wet or icy conditions is never a smart move. Ice on the roads increases the required braking distance and can make cornering and controlling your vehicle very difficult. Avoid exemplifying the problem by driving too fast – plus the last thing you want is to get yourself a speeding ticket when you are on car finance with bad credit!
- Expect traffic. It’s pretty much a given that you are going to end up getting stuck when you are travelling around Christmas time. Traffic jams are rife, largely down to the sheer volume of vehicles trying to navigate the roads at this time of year.
So, there you have our top tips for driving over the Christmas period. As long as you drive sensibly, staying safe on the roads shouldn’t be an issue this winter, so don’t be tempted to do anything reckless!